The Regional Arts & Culture Council recognizes individual artistic achievement and excellence through its annual Individual Artist Fellowship awarded to two artists from Multnomah, Washington, or Clackamas Counties. The Fellowship, which includes a cash award of $20,000, helps individual artists of high merit sustain or enhance their creative process. Fellowships are awarded in rotating disciplines that include Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Media Arts and Literature.
Individual Artist Fellowship Cycles
|2017 Fellowship – Literature|
***Please note the deadlines for this application have changed! Applications will now be due in June rather than July!***
Gallery of Past Awardees
Definition of “Fellowship”
The Fellowship Award will recognize individual artists in the tri-county area who are the strongest representatives of the range and diversity of art in the Northwest. An artist’s commitment to the crafting of an idea, the honing of a vision and the development of a consequential body of work, requires discipline, rigor, curiosity, singularity and generosity of spirit. For artists who possess these qualities, their profession is a self-directed life choice, and their continued development reflects the shape of our region and the voice of our time. It is this mature and dedicated artist that the Fellowship program seeks to honor and support. To be eligible for a Fellowship, an applicant must:
- Be a professional artist, as recognized by his/her peers, with a minimum of 10 years in the discipline for which they applying.
- Have been a resident of Oregon for a minimum of 5 years and currently a physical resident of Clackamas, Multnomah, or Washington Counties.
- Have been active on a regular basis in the tri-county area through by presenting or performing or by offering arts related opportunities to tri-county citizens.
- Be a recognized artist within the general discipline category for which Fellowships are being offered in the current fiscal year.
- Provide RACC with a Social Security number upon notification that you have been awarded a Fellowship.
Past Fellowship Recipients
1999 – Performing Arts, Obo Addy & Mary Oslund
2000 – Visual Arts, Christine Bourdette & Terry Toedtemeier
2001 – Literary Arts, Michele Glazer & Media Arts, Jim Blashfield
2002 – Performing Arts, Tomas Svoboda & Keith Scales
2003 – Visual Arts, Michael Brophy & Judy Cooke
2004 – Literary Arts, Craig Lesley & Media Arts, Chel White
2005 – Performing Arts, Thara Memory
2006 – Visual Arts, Henk Pander
2007 – Media Arts, Joanna Priestley
2008 – Literature, Kim Stafford
2009 – No Fellowship offered
2010 – Performing Arts, Robin Lane
2011 – Visual Arts, Eric Stotik
2012 – Media Arts, Lawrence Johnson